- Issuer / Manufacturer:Daum Nancy
- MarK / Label:Yes + cross of Lorraine
- Period:20th Century / 1905 - 1910
- Country of Origin:France
- Dimensions (H x W x D):34,5 x 11 cm
- Weight:1 Kg
- Number of components:1
- Style:Art Deco / Art Nouveau
- Materials:Silver / Glass
Art Nouveau vase in diabolo shape in lined glass with acid-free decor, picked up with a grindstone of floral daisy patterns enhanced with gold on an opalescent frosted background.
Collar frame in sterling silver with identical decoration mounted at the time of the French goldsmith "Claire Auguste" in Paris.
Signed "Daum Nancy" and cross of Lorraine with gold on the reverse.
Very good condition, 2 minimal chips on the back of the vase (see images).
The Daum Crystal Factory in Nancy:
Daum is a crystal factory founded in 1878 in Nancy, Lorraine, France by Jean Daum. The Daum workshops have trained some of the big names in Art Nouveau such as Jacques Grüber, Henri Bergé, Almaric Walter, the Schneider brothers ... The two brothers prepared, between 1889 and 1891, the setting up of a artistic department which is entrusted to Antonin. Auguste gives him all the means to work to follow the furrow dug by Émile Gallé in Art Nouveau glassware.
Antoninus begins, with a few simple models, to quickly continue with acid etching, then, moving on to models using wheel etching techniques, of two or three layer glasses. From 1890 to 1914, he created no less than three thousand references.
Jacques Grüber was recruited in 1893, he was entrusted with the creation of pieces with a view to appearing at the Chicago Universal Exhibition of 1893, the first great success which propelled Daum into the closed circle of art industries. The Daum won the participation in the Nancy exhibition there in 1894.
A drawing school was created in 1897 inside the company, which thus trained its own decorators and engravers. Émile Wirtz, who will remain at the factory, and Charles Schneider, who will then set up his own glassware, will emerge from it. Henri Bergé will be master decorator there and in 1904, Almaric Walter develops glass paste there until 1915.