Sculpture of an elephant and its elephant in terracotta - Italy - circa 1930/40.
High quality of realization.
Carries a mark "ITALY" and a signature a little unreadable (see photos) "R. Taglia? .... ???", without certitude ....
Several similar models, but of less quality, are visible on the web and bear the mark of Guido Cacciapuoti (Fratelli).
The artistic ceramics factory "Cacciapuoti" was founded in Naples by Cesare Cacciapuoti, belonging to a family of Campania Majolica.
His son Giuseppe (1828-1896) inherited the company around 1880 when some of his works were exhibited, first in Turin, then in Milan.
Brother Ettore also works in the factory, presenting some of his ceramics at the 1889 Paris exhibition.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the factory, specialized in terracotta, imitating bronze and copper, was run by the sons of Giuseppe, Cesare (who opened their own factory in 1883 and joined the manufacturer of tableware Schioppa), Ettore and Guglielmo.
Among the collaborators of this first period, we find the painter Giovan Battista Foschi.
At the turn of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, painters and modellers of the highest level collaborated with society, including Attilio Pratella and Filippo Cifariello.
In the early twentieth century, manufacturing industries passed into the hands of Ettore and Guglielmo, who worked to make production more modern and competitive by starting to produce cast iron pottery.
In 1906, Ettore left the factory and settled in Paris where he began his career as a painter. Guglielmo took over all the actions of the factory and continued production under the name "Stabilimento Ceramico Artistico Partenopeo".
In 1907, the sons of Guglielmo, Mario and Guido settled in Treviso, where they collaborated with the ceramic manufacturer "Gregory" and met Arturo Martini.....
Similar style: Tiziano Galli or Tagliarol Giuseppe